Monday, December 12, 2011

Mission Week #54

Back to Orem
October 17, 2011 8:02:24 PM GMT+03:00

Hello!

It was a good first week here in the new area. It is weird to be back so close to everything. The place where I am doing emails from is close to the shopping center with Ross and TJ Maxx. The other option for emails is the chapel right next to Julies house but apparently the computers arent as fast. I have yet to make a Julie and Cliff sighting although I have driven by the house a couple times. We wont ever be attending their ward but we do have a weekly missionary meeting held in that building. We cover a pretty large area for Orem. 1 ward and 1 branch. The members all seem great. Our mission leader for the branch is amazing. He is a convert of 16 years from Argentina and is filled with the fire of missionary work. He has moved around a lot and has been mission leader 9 different times. He said if we want he will come and teach/knock with us every night and so far I think he has been with us every night but once. Lots of energy for being 60 and a great example of a consecrated life. My companion is from Louisiana. He was in the area for 6 weeks before I came. It is cool to see him starting his mission because it makes me remember how hard it was starting for me trying to communicate with the people and contribute in Spanish. The Hispanics dont say anything but most people from here make comments about both of us being from the South. We get along great. I guess I get lucky because I have never had a companion I havent gotten along with.

Saturday we had a baptism. It is a 19 year old named Eric who went to seminary for 2 years and has been coming to church off and on for awhile. They had been teaching him for a couple weeks and he felt like he was ready to do it. I just happened to get transfered in. It was an awesome baptismal service. Although I had never met the ward mission leader and I didnt know anyone for some reason he asked me to conduct. There was about 80 people there and his parents and younger sister who arent members were there in the front row with him. He got up and bore his testimony at the end and said that in 365 days he would be leaving for his mission and that soon he would be baptizing his family.  His parents were really emotional and came to church yesterday so hopefully they will be open to us. Eric is a great example of following his beliefs.

We spent lots and lots of time looking for people to teach this week. We found some good potential families and set lots of appointments. Hopefully they go through and I will have lots of poeple to talk about next week. We have 2 people getting ready to be baptized in the next 3 weeks. Joel and Humberto. I have only met them both once but they seem great.

Well, I hope everyone is doing great. Have an excellent week!

Love, Elder Clark

No comments:

Post a Comment