Saturday, June 25, 2011

Mission Week #37

Sent: Mon, Jun 13, 2011 1:11 pm
Subject: ROOSEVELT

Hello from Eastern Utah. This is quite the place over here.

I guess I will start with the departure from Santaquin. I had my last dinner with the Pereiras. They were late getting back from Provo so instead of making something they brought us Cafe Rio burritos. Usually I would be disappointed not to have the food of Hna Pereira but we all know how good Cafe Rio is.  The church is building a video set to make a bunch a projects in Elberta and we stopped by there Tuesday to check it out. It is pretty amazing.

Wednesday was transfers. I feel like I pretty much know the majority of the missionaries now so it is always fun to see everyone. Something needed to be fixed on the truck so now we have a Corolla instead. We stopped through Heber on the way out East for some lunch and continued the journey. I think it took somewhere between 2.5 and 3 hours. My companion is pretty cool. He's from Maryland and been out 6 weeks less than me. His physical stature reminds me of Mr. Incredible off the movie. He did not get along with his last companion so he said he is pleased to be with me.

There are 3 incidents that I would say describe the nature of the area.

1. We were walking out of our dinner Thursday and when we got to the car this extremely drunk lady appeared out of nowhere and was wobbling all over the place and fell down in the front yard of a house across the street. She was the most drunk. She communicated that it was her dad's house she was trying to get to so we helped her in.

2. There are lots of people riding their horses all over. One was multi-tasking. Drinking beer and riding his horse.

3. When we were getting the directions for our dinner Saturday the directions were something like the following: "Turn left at the butcher shop. Go three miles and turn left when you see a large group of horses. Turn right when you see the field with the hay being harvested. Our house is on top of the hill." We ended up not being able to find it right away so the guy came and and met us on the main road with his 4-wheeler. It ended up being a good dinner after all.

The area we cover is gigantic. We cover one branch and a group. The group meets with an English ward and we are thinking about disbanding it because there is only one couple that goes and they would be fine being in the ward. The couple that goes puts on headphones and gets the translation from the not so professional translators who happen to be me and my companion. Some time you should try listening to a fast-speaking speaker in church give a talk and try repeating what they say. It is hard enough without changing the language. It was a pretty fun experience to do it for the first time though.

The branch is pretty small too. It was a great first week though because 11 investigators were there. It was amazing. There are a lot of good things going on in the area.

Today I think we are going golfing. It is free and we also have a free gym we can go to in the mornings. Pretty sweet.

Well, have an excellent week!

Love, Elder Clark

No comments:

Post a Comment